Saturday, September 17, 2011

Observations From Non-UGA Games

My wife and our older daughter had a function to attend this afternoon, so I was home with the baby today and chose not to get UGA on PPV.  We all knew what the result was likely to be, and I couldn't justify the cost.  So it gave me the opportunity to watch some non-UGA football while Scott Howard kept me abreast of our game on the radio.  I'm posting this before the night games, but here are my thoughts as of 7:30pm:

- Make no mistake about it, Clemson absolutely whipped Auburn, much worse than the final score indicates.  The second half was a dominant performance by the Tigers of SC.  That being said.........Clemson students, you just stormed the field for beating the #21 team in the country, a team that needed a miracle to beat Utah State at home only 2 weeks ago.  I hope you are proud of yourselves.  Now go sit in timeout and think about what you've done.  (And to be fair, Dabo in the post game interview was acting like he just brought the crystal football back to Clemson.  Dude, I know you wear your emotions on your sleeve, but c'mon).

- I have a feeling that Clemson nation is going to find out next week that today's performance was a combination partly of an improved offense, but also A LOT because of a very bad defense that they were going against.  Some of the stuff that worked today will not work against FSU.  That being said, those freshmen are without question the real deal.  Even though Clemson's offense probably isn't as good as their fans are thinking right now, there is a VERY bright future ahead for them.

- Auburn is about to find out exactly what a Ted Roof coordinated defense is all about when he doesn't have a Nick Fairley to bail him out.  I know they lost a lot of players from last year's team, but yikes, I didn't see a single playmaker on that D.  Still a lot of time for them to improve, and they may be totally different by the time UGA sees them, but that was a very underwhelming performance.

- On the flip side, Florida's defense, especially their front 7, and even more especially their defensive line, are just plain scary.  I am not looking forward to watching our OL try to block those guys in Jacksonville. The secondary still has a lot of work to do, but I would almost argue that their front 7 is on the same level as LSU.  Maybe not quite, but a whole lot closer than I would have ever guessed before the season.

-  I was impressed by Tyler Bray.  If he gets Hunter back, and his WR's decide to start catching the ball, they'll give us fits in Nashville Knoxville.  They still have obvious holes, but so do we, and they are better than I thought they would be.

- Ole Miss.......I don't even know what to say, other than whatever routine you followed to prepare to play today, please follow THAT EXACT SAME ROUTINE next week leading up to our game in Oxford.

- Conference expansion!  Texas A&M was the first domino (at least of this year) but it looks like a lot more dominoes are about to fall.  I'm not thrilled about it.  I'm not one of these guys that hates change, I just don't see any benefit that expansion brings me as a fan.  And I still maintain that the SEC would have been fine staying at 12 teams no matter how big all the other conferences get.  But it all looks pretty inevitable now, so we'll see what happens.

I may have some more thoughts after the night games.

-Rev

*Update* - Nope, not much for additional thoughts.  OU did enough to take care of business, Ohio State didn't, and the Gamecocks realized how stupid it was to willingly schedule a game against a team that runs the triple option (we don't have much choice with Ga Tech).  That's one of those games you're just glad to escape with a win, and afterwards forget that it ever happened.

No comments: