Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday Morning Thoughts

I think the MSU game has been pretty well hashed over by everyone.  The defense looked great the whole game, the offense looked good for a half, and special teams (outside of the field goal unit) seemed to get back on track.

However, there was one thing I had noticed and planned to write about, but Blutarsky beat me to it and touched on it in his recap.........for the first time in a REALLY long time, I actually got excited when the defense was coming onto the field.  To the point that the offensive struggles in the 2nd half didn't bother me nearly as much as they usually do, because I was enjoying watching the defense play.  Clearly we need the offense to step up and start playing an entire game as we get into the meat of the schedule, but I can't remember the last time I felt this good about our defense.  And if you had told me before the season that we would have to go stretches early on without Ogletree, Robinson, and now Washington, I would have predicted doom & gloom for the defense.  The impact of Cornelius' absence has yet to be felt, but these guys seem to really be starting to believe in themselves, and I believe they will find a way to still be solid these next 2 games.  We're still nowhere near as good as LSU or Bama on defense, but I can't look at any other defense in the conference and say they're better than us.

Speaking of Cornelius Washington..........damn, kid.  Now I'd imagine that the majority of us have driven when we probably shouldn't have at some point in our lives, but driving 92 mph when you know getting pulled over would be a really bad thing?  At least try to not stick out like a sore thumb.  Driving that fast when completely sober is dangerous and asking for trouble, much less when you've been drinking.

As for Richt's decision, I've already seen comments from opposing fans and even some UGA fans claiming that Richt isn't being consistent because since he kicked Demetre Baker off the team, Washington should be kicked off too.  They are implying that Richt is using a different set of standards because Washington is a starter while Baker had never seen the field.  However, this decision is consistent with every other alcohol-related disciplinary decision during Richt's time.  Pretty much everyone knew that the Baker decision was Richt's way of sending a message to the team after a string of disciplinary issues and bad press for the program.  He had just had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the entire team, spelling out what the repercussions would be of any major disciplinary issues in the near future, then Baker went and got his DUI that very same week.  I'm not saying that any one DUI is less bad than another, but as far as timing goes, Baker's couldn't have been any worse.  I know as a parent, if my kids do something in general that they know is wrong, I deal with it and give the punishment.  But if they do it almost immediately after I just told them not to, it's a different level of punishment I'm going to dish out.

Looking at it on paper, it's hard to see how we have anybody who can step in and fill Washington's shoes.  And yet on paper I thought we were in major trouble when Ogletree and Robinson went out, yet Gilliard and Herrera have done a phenomenal job.  Hopefully Faloughi, Vasser, Drew, or whoever gets snaps in that spot will do the same thing.  I'm already looking forward to watching the defense Saturday night.

-Rev.


No comments: