Monday, October 10, 2011

Quick UT breakdown

Another road SEC win and this one in the division. Overall, a very good win. I think it's safe to say that the defense is for real even though it doesn't feel like a dominate performance while it's happening. Rev said it in his post
" I kept feeling like the defense was off their game, yet kept looking at the score and realizing that no matter how ugly they might look doing it, they were still doing their job."

The offense did what they needed to by controlling the clock and not turning the ball over. We won the field position battle which I think is crucial for us every game. We came out pretty aggressive going for some 4th downs.......of course it ended in only a FG but it was nice to see a temporary change in attitude. I'm sure it has to do with what the defense was giving us, but we also took plenty of shots downfield which was nice to see. Aaron doesn't seem to have great timing with the WRs on the deep routes but hopefully that's something they can work on. It's obvious he has the arm strength, so that's not the problem.

What really concerns me with the offense is how often we are 3rd and long. It seems like we continually put ourselves in long down situations which accounts for our poor 3rd down conversion rate. I'm still not in any way sold on the offense, it's not a good sign when I'm thinking just flip the field, run some clock, and don't turn the ball over.

Bottom line is that we've beaten 4 teams in a row that we should have. At the end of the season, we'll look back and realize how bad those 4 teams probably were but wins are wins and the last few years have proven that beating bad teams isn't always a given, so I'll take them.

I'm still not sure how we stack up against the Gators but we'll soon find out. I don't think there was much to learn from their last two beat downs because if you're honest with yourselves, there's a good chance we would have taken those same beat downs against those 2 teams. The good news is that we still have time to improve and it actually looks like we're doing that.

What am I missing with all these pulled muscles in sports? Are these guys just so much bigger and faster than past athletes that muscles can't handle it. I would think with the youth of these guys and the science behind nutrition and stretching, we wouldn't be seeing this any more. I understand when 40 year old Chipper Jones pulls his abs swinging but not an 18 year old running downfield. Maybe it's just me.

I'm more bearish than my other 2 G's from the blog in that I'm not buying in just yet but I really do believe we can win the rest of our games this year if we just start clicking on offense and find a way to get positive yards consistently on 1st and 2nd downs. .

-Simple

No comments: