Tuesday, November 15, 2011

So, I'm thinking of changing my name......(Rev)



I've been going back and forth on this for a while now, and the further I go along, the more uncomfortable I am with the "Reverend Whitewall" nomenclature.  If you've never clicked on my name to the right and read my profile, here's where the name came from:

I've always been strong in my Christian faith, including during my time at UGA where I was a member of the Worldwide Discipleship Assocation (WDA), which was basically a smaller version of a Campus Crusade or Baptist Student Union.  In an unrelated venture while I was at UGA, I had to get new tires at one point, and they put them on with the whitewalls facing out.  I had to leave though, I can't remember exactly why but I didn't have time for them to flip the tires once I saw them, so I ended up having to drive around for a couple of days with whitewalls on my 1989 Mustang before I could get back over there for them to flip the tires - it was quite a sight, but I've always been fine about laughing at myself, so it just kinda became a running joke.  Well eventually at one point me, LC, SimpleMan, and Reeder 3:16 were having a debate about something that I disagreed with LC on, and LC said something to the effect of "Well if you take what ol' Reverend Whitewall over there says..........." and then continued on his point, but we all thought it was hilarious, and it just kinda stuck as something LC liked to throw out there every now and again.

My problem though is that I feel kinda sacrilegious because especially when I'm commenting at other sites and things like that, people's responses that don't know who I am tend to be tinged with some sort of religious of references, because they think they're talking to an actual Reverend.  The more those sorts of things happen, the more uncomfortable I feel about it, like I am misrepresenting myself.  Nothing like some good ol' Christian guilt to unsettle you, you know?  (just kidding).  And I'm still early enough in my life as a blogger that I don't think switching names would be that big of a deal.  This blog has only been around for about 6 months, but if I'm going to make a change, I need to do it sooner than later.

Anyway, I'm looking for some ideas.  One is just to go my real name.  That's not super common, but not unheard of either for bloggers (bloggers like Doug Gillette, Aaron Torres, Ben Dukes, and T. Kyle King jump to mind, not that I consider myself in anywhere near the same category as them).  Another is since people have taken to calling me "Rev", come up with a name that still incorporates that somehow.  There's just not that many good words that start with "Rev".........Revolution, Revenge, Revolver.......nothing I can think of that fits me in any way.  I suppose I could go with "Rev Dawg" or something along those lines, that just doesn't totally strike my fancy.  If I can't come up with something I love, I may still stick with Reverend Whitewall.........I don't know.  I haven't even discussed this with my co-writers here, so I'll be curious to hear their thoughts too.

What do you guys think?  Am I crazy for being uncomfortable with the name?  Can you think of anything clever that would still use "Rev" in it?  Or should I just go to my real name?  T-Bone? I'm open to any and all suggestions.  If your suggestion is chosen, you'll win...........something.  Maybe get to do a guest post on the blog here, or just a big ol' "Thank you" from me, and the eternal feeling of satisfaction that that brings.  Seriously though, I would appreciate your thoughts below.  I've spent way more time thinking about this than I should have, and would appreciate help in putting it to bed.

-Rev. (for now)

No comments: