Friday, December 9, 2011

Runners

Since football season is coming to a close, it's time to reenter the normal everyday world. All of my cohorts here have families, more responsibilities, and have never really been too much into the running thing. So my "off-season" contribution is going to be some hiking/biking/running race previews-reviews. I love food so much that it's forced me to be a moderate runner/racer over the years.

I've done a few races around of all varieties and wanted to provide you with a few potential races to check out if you are into running or just want a challenge. I've learned over the years that the only thing that motivates me to actually get out and train is signing up for a race and paying the money. I've been lucky enough to do about every type of race I ever had on my bucket list so now I look around for some different things.

If you've never done anything, shoot for a 5K to start with and there's nothing wrong with walking it. No matter what kind of shape you're in, almost anyone can tough their way through a 5K with only 4-6 weeks of training. These are easy races to find and happen locally all over.

Here's 2 races for anyone who is looking for something different:
  1. The first one is the Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh, NC. I've never done this one but it's on the bucket list, maybe 2013. I don't really enjoy running but this race has my favorite incentive of all time.
  2. If you're looking for a real challenge, check out the Hogpen Hill Climb in Helen, GA. I've actually done this a couple of times with frequent commenter Andy Bulluck. Don't be expecting a PR (personal record) on this race but it's a fun weekend up in the mountains. Strongly suggest having access to a hot tub post race.

I just race for exercise and personal challenges, usually finishing around the middle of the pack, so I am by no means an expert or that competitive. But if anyone ever has any questions, please feel free to ask, I've done triathlons, stair climbs, biking, all running events from 5K to marathon including trail runs, warrior dashes, pub runs, and urban scavenger hunts.

Get healthy America

-Simple


No comments: