Thursday, December 1, 2011

SECCG Thoughts

I have some handy little bullet points on my take on the keys to the game.
Hold on while I whip this thing out:


  • LSU's RBs/TBs get a lot of ink for being really good. Our D is getting a lot of ink for being really good. This is the proverbial "irresistable force meets the immovable object" scenario and I like us in this one. Yes, we will have our hands full, but they're not going to make a living running up the gut all night.

  • Jordan Jefferson doesn't scare anyone unless they're lying down on the floor of a bar. He's good, but we can't let him beat us by himself. They have some road graders on the OL, but I feel sure Jarvis Jones is wanting to get acquainted with him real fast. I can't wait to see what Grantham draws up for this matchup.

  • Crowell is going to have a huge bullseye on him from the word go. His propensity for getting the gimps (I'm not as hard on him as some because I've never run the ball in the SEC; he's having a helluva year for a true freshman and we're damn lucky to have him) will likely have LSU's D wanting to drill him extra hard. We're really going to miss Samuel in this game. I home Malcome is ready to go again.

  • I can't wait to see our freshmen receivers against Coppertop, I mean, Honey Badger. He's going to make at least one big play, but let's just hope it isn't a backbreaker at the worst possible time.

  • Finally, my biggest key is the one that has been touched on every time this matchup has been discussed: protecting Murray. Our OL, for all it's girth, hasn't exactly reminded anyone of vintage Nebraska OLs. They're going to have to play the game of their lives in 2 days. If Murray's on his back all night like a Kardashian, we don't stand a chance. If he's running for his life to make throws, I don't like the odds vs. that secondary. If he's running for yardage, I hope he hears Bobo & everyone in the stands (and at home) yelling, "SLIDE!" If he's able to get just enough time to let the receivers run their routes and get some space, that will open the door for some textbook clock-eating by Richt. Having said that, I feel more comfortable with that aspect than I do running the ball. Who knows, maybe our OL will play out of their minds, open up holes for Crowell, protect Murray like the secret service and wear out LSU's DL, but that's asking a lot. This really concerns me.

  • LSU is the best team in the country. They're battle tested this year. They have their sights on the BCS championship (and will likely go even if they lose this game). We have ripped off 10 in a row and are here for the first time in 6 years. We have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I hope we play that way, too.

I'll have a prediction up tomorrow.


GO DAWGS! BEAT THEM CORNDOGS!

No comments: