Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Aftermath

Concerning the game yesterday, I went into it with very little knowledge about MSU other than what I had read from other bloggers & beat writers. My dad has a golf pal that spent his entire medical practice career in Michigan (yet has always been a huge Nebraska fan) and told me last week that if we couldn't run the ball, we were going to have a long day. Oh, how right he was.

Look, losing to a good, well-coached team that went 10-2 and lost in their conference championship game is nothing to be ashamed of. How we lost is what has me (and Bulldog Nation) in such an uproar.

In sum, the sins of the past came back to haunt us with something else that absolutely does not sit well with me at all. Let us examine:


  • Richt is getting roasted for being too conservative and not pouncing at opportune times. I get that, but at the same time, we couldn't run the ball and were pretty much one-dimensional. Having said that, that one dimension was an erratic QB looking like he hadn't played in a year.

  • When you can't run the ball, you have to be able to complete your passes and Murray simply could not do that well enough to avoid 2 catastrophes. You can't pin the entire loss on him, but you can without question point a finger if you choose to do so.

  • Bobo went back to being Bobo. I hate criticizing coordinators, coaches, etc., but for the love of all things pure and holy, WTF was that on 3rd & 8? Up the gut? Really? That hadn't worked all game, so...

  • Yesterday was not a good day to be a kicker in a bowl game and Blair Walsh crapped the bed again that was set up to be a Cinderella-like ending to redeem himself. Didn't happen.

  • Crowell's ankle injury kept him on the sidelines. Again. I swear to God, James Caan's character in Misery had more stable ankles.

I could go on, but I'm going to stop. Basically, this isn't the end of the world. We still have the #1 TB in the country coming to campus to early enroll this month. We're still set up with a lot of returning talent and a favorable schedule, but...this still hurts and leaves a bad taste in our mouth.


Like I said, not catastrophic, but this isn't how we wanted to end the season and start 2012.


How do you feel?

No comments: