Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Frivolities

Every Friday is a Good Friday, so let's get started.

Word broke yesterday that The Office is going to need a new Assistant to the Regional Manager as Dwight Schrute will be taking his talents to a spin-off show based on his Schrute Farms Bed & Breakfast. He will leave mid-season next season (season 9) and the new show will be a mid-season replacement. I said season way too much. I apologize.

Spin-offs are tricky. One of the best was Frasier as Dr. Frasier Crane left the bar in Boston (Cheers) to take a radio show in Seattle.
One of the worst was Joey. Friends was one of the best, if not the best, ensemble comedies of all time. This would be like making a spin-off franchise about Robin without Batman.

I find Dwight funny, but grating. He's best served in small doses. However, if the right people are cast, the writing is sharp, etc., it might do well (but I doubt it).

We've still been wearing out movie rentals and the last few we've seen were The Ides of March (pretty good; it really just focused on one huge scandal involving a presidential front-runner played by Clooney), Moneyball (I really liked this one because I had heard about how Oakland A's GM Billy Beane based his player acquisitions based on numbers to stay competitive as a small market team; it's worth a look) and The Killer Elite (a smart action movie; I just love Jason Statham and a little bit of De Niro never hurts, either).

I plan on heading to the theater this weekend to catch The Grey (Liam Neeson vs. wolves) if at all possible. I still want to see The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, as well.

Everyone enjoy themselves this weekend. Simple Man & Reeder 3:16 are in Vegas, Baby, Vegas this weekend, so as much as I'd like to divulge what they text me, I have to remember the Vegas Code.

Onward & upward.

No comments: