Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Weight Loss Chronicles: Day 13

Wow, the past couple of weeks have been crazy busy for me at work, and I've barely had time to touch the blog.  However, I am happy to report that the weight loss has gotten off to a nice start.  When I weighed myself last Wednesday, I had lost 4 lbs, and when I weighed myself today I was 207.2 lbs for a total weight lost of 6 lbs.  Not bad for the first two weeks, especially since I haven't been going crazy with a diet or exercise.


We all know the first few pounds are the ones that come off the easiest, so I'll have to start working harder as I go along, but so far I've really just made some modest changes.  I've been walking for 30 minutes on my lunch break at work three times a week, then just trying to be more active around the house instead of hanging out on the couch.  Like I said before, I'm not following any particular diet or anything like that, I'm just trying to eat more reasonably.  There are a few things that have helped me though.


I took Jmortonstrauss's advice and took note of what I was eating for a week (I didn't quite make it 10 days like he suggested), and I found that it made me think twice before reaching to grab things.  It also made me realize that I wasn't eating enough during the day, so when I would get home from work, my appetite was just out of control and I'd end up way over-eating in the evenings.  So I've tried to do better about eating breakfast everyday (I'm still a little hit-and-miss on this, but I've probably eaten breakfast 5 of the past 7 days), and trying really hard not to eat anything after 6:30 p.m.  I've also found that if I make one of those little bags of Quaker Oatmeal and eat it about 3:30 or 4:00 p.m., that curbs my appetite through the evening.  I'm still hungry when I walk through the door, but it's not that overpowering urge to consume everything I can possibly get my hands on.  I'm able to just eat a sensible dinner, feel full, and not want to snack through the rest of the evening.


The other thing I've noticed is that not eating after 6:30 p.m. is helping me with eating breakfast.  I usually wouldn't eat breakfast mainly because I just wasn't hungry at all in the mornings, the thought of eating something just wasn't appealing.  But I'm finding that by not eating/snacking late into the evening, I'm actually waking up hungry in the mornings, so it's much easier to remember to eat breakfast.  It's also helped with my heartburn, when I eat earlier in the evenings I have no heartburn during the night, so that's a big bonus.  I'm still eating the things I like though, I'm just eating less of it and combining it with more fruits and vegetables.  So far, so good.


Next on the agenda is to get myself into a more physically demanding exercise routine than just walking three times a week.  I've been encouraged by my results so far, but I know the pounds only come off slower and slower as you go along.


Based on the responses to my last post about this, it seems like there were several of you either already losing weight or debating whether to start.  How are your results coming?  Do you feel like you're able to make behavioral changes that you can sustain?  That's the biggest thing for me, trying to do things that I know I can sustain for the long haul, rather than trying to do the rapid weight-loss thing.  I hope you'll add your thoughts/comments/suggestions below.


-Rev.

No comments: