Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Frivolities

Friday is finally here, but like the slut she is, she'll be gone in no time.
In the meantime, off to the frivolities:

I'm really liking the upcoming subplot on The Office between Jim & the hottie temp. That show was at it's best when it was mixing tense drama with it's usual slapstick shenanigans, i.e. Jim & Pam's sexual tension and subsequent pairing.
As I had previously stated, I have been slowly losing interest in this show all season. I absolutely love Robert California, but I just can't stand Andy and never have been able to tolerate him. I'm very interested in seeing where this goes with some of the gang headed to Tallahassee, FL for 3 weeks to work at Sabre, Jim & the intern (but no Pam) included. Remember, Jim all but took Pam away from her warehouse-worker fiancee in the first place. What goes around, comes around? We shall see.

In other TV news, this will be the last season of House and I think it's just the right time. It's hard to top what he did last year and there's only so many more "oh, that's it!" revelations leading to the correct diagnosis. I have really liked this show, but it's time for it to end after 8 good seasons.

How good is Justified? Dammit, FX. You guys are the proverbial bomb.

As for the movies, I haven't darkened the doorstep of a theater in months, but I have Safe House (Denzel & Ryan Reynolds) in my cross-hairs.
I was gung ho about seeing The Grey, but Simple Man's review coincided w/ everyone else's, so I'll just wait for the rental.

Speaking of rentals, I saw Drive (Ryan Gosling, Albert Brooks) and really liked it. I'm a sucker for well-placed and well-done violence and this hit the nail right on the head. I recently read where this woman had the audacity to sue (either the studio or the theater, I can't recall) because she said the previews made it look like a Fast & Furious movie. Well, it's nothing like that, but I do see her point. I just wouldn't sink low enough to sue over it. (I should have sued for the steaming pile of dung that was Hannibal Rises, but I didn't.)

The Double (Richard Gere, Topher Grace) was pretty good, too. The previews absolutely give away the plot twist (which I found dumb and led me to almost passing on it), but it's handled well in the end. This didn't make a dent at the box office likely for that very reason.

Dream House (Daniel Craig, a.k.a. Bond, James Bond) was really satisfying in that I knew absolutely nothing about it and almost passed on it because it looked like a formulaic horror movie, but it's anything but that. Give it a view on rental or PPV when you have time.

Very little football-related Dawg news to report and I just can't think of anything nice to say about the basketball team, so onward & upward, readers.

Until next time...

No comments: