Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book Reviews

In a continued off season random themed blog, please find the following post.

Since I got my Kindle Fire a few months ago, I've been reading a few books here and there. Yes I know these aren't that new....but they're new to me. Just to give you perspective, I don't read that much but my interest include thrillers (Clancy, Cussler, C.J. Box), historical books (1776 is one of my all time favorites), religious books (C.S. Lewis fan), adventure/hiking (Krakauer), and political books (love Boortz).

Here's my recent read book list and a quick review of each:

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
- Quick and easy read. A very unique topic to center a love story around. It's about a Depression Era traveling circus and supposedly pretty accurate how those operated during that time. Recommended if you enjoy a semi-historical tale.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- This is the first book of the trilogy. It's another take on the human race using up the earth's resources and going through some post catastrophic world war where government is established new in a 1984 Big Brother way. I thought it was okay but not good enough to read the other 2 anytime soon. The theme feels stuck between a weird teen novel and trying to keep adults interested with violence.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
The Girl who Played with Fire
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
- As most of you all already know, these have been made into movies already overseas and now the American versions are coming out. These are interesting stories with some very graphic scenes. Honestly, it was a little difficult reading all the Scandinavian (Sweden) words throughout the books but it's well written. I have a hard time pronouncing normal English words, I don't need you adding symbols and backwards letters. These won't go down as my favorite thrillers but interesting none the less.

Brainrush by Richard Bard
- Cheap buy on Kindle so I gave it a shot. Very quick read about a guy who has something dramatic happen to him medically and now he becomes a genius with a very powerful brain. It's not a thinking man's plot, just an okay action book. Nothing special.....wait for rental.

K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain by Ed Viesturs
- Currently 68% through this book but thought I'd go ahead and give a review because it's non-fiction and I already know how it ends. It's basically the history of all the expeditions attempting to climb K2, the planets second tallest (and most say the most difficult) mountain. If you like true-life hiking adventures, then you'll like it. If not, skip it. I happen to really enjoy reading about other people's adventures of all kinds from all over the world. Whether it's something I do, like hiking or something I've never tried, like kayaking a major river, I love reading any adventure.

For the record, I had no idea that movies for Water for Elephants and Hunger Games were out there when I read those (both read through the Lending Library) but that's the only reason I read the Girl with Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

I just borrowed Dead Wood by Dani Amore, so if anyone thinks it crap, please let me know so I don't waste my time.

Please share any great books that you've read recently.

-Simple

No comments: