Monday, April 9, 2012

Week 8 PRR Training

Week 8 (3 days)

This will be another catch-up/recovery week. Hopefully at this point, you are very comfortable with a 30 minute workout. Starting next week, we'll really start increasing the time and start moving towards distances instead of time. After all, the purpose of this training is to run/walk 6.2 miles. That may take some of you 40 minutes and others 2 hours. Time only matters to you, just finishing any race gives you a great sense of accomplishment.
  1. walk 3 minutes, jog 2 minutes (1 interval), repeat 5 more times for a total of 30 minutes
  2. jog 4 minutes, walk 6 minutes, repeat 3 more times for a total of 40 minutes
  3. jog 5 minutes, walk 15 minutes, repeat 1 more time for a total of 40 minutes

Bonus Day

  • run/walk 2 miles. Run as much of it as you can and don't focus on time. Focus on jogging as much as you can, only walk when you need to. If you are comfortably running 2 miles already, then start setting time goals and keep track of pace.
My Training Update
As I've mentioned before, I'm doing a half marathon up a Colorado 14K mountain in August. In order to qualify for it, I must run a 10 mile run down in Colorado Springs in June. I'm behind schedule but here you go.
Update: Ran 3 times this week, first 2 were sadly way shorter than I should be doing. Sunday, I jogged/hiked up and around a local mountain here in the foothills. Nothing series like up in the Rockies but a good training mountain none the less. I plan on doing a lot of my training here at Green Mountain. I don't have a GPS and am usually pretty good about knowing my pace but mountain training is completely different so all I have is time to go by. My ascent points that I'll be checking throughout are set at the following markers:
  • Checkpoint 1 (rock grouping)= 17:30
  • Checkpoint 2 (trail split/fence)= 35:00
  • Summit = 58:00
  • Total run = 1:45:00
-Simple

No comments: