Friday, August 31, 2012

Looking Ahead to the Weekend

I haven't gotten around to doing a season prediction thing like we did last year, but I wanted to throw some thoughts out there for the weekend.  If I'm feeling especially motivated tonight, I may still put up a post for tomorrow morning about my thoughts going into the season as a whole, but I got into some Chardonnay last night during the SC-Vandy game, and I ended up drinking a little more than I intended to.  I ended up regaling LC and SimpleMan with a number of texts containing disparaging comments about the 'Cocks, the 'Dores, and Matt Millen.  Yep, Matt Millen.  I have no idea why I went off on Millen, but in my own mind it was quite amusing at the time.  Anywho, I've got a feeling I may have a hard time fighting to stay awake tonight after imbibing last night, so don't know if I'll get to that post or not.

But without further adieu, here's what I see happening this weekend:

Boise State vs Michigan State:  Both these teams beat us last year, and if this were last year, I might well pick the Broncos to win.  But I really think the Broncos are going to take a step back this year, they just lost so much talent due to graduation.  I know Michigan State is breaking in a new QB too, but that defense they're bringing back has the potential to be among the nation's best.  It won't be a blowout, but I see Sparty taking this one with about a 2 touchdown cushion.

Auburn vs Clemson:  I think this is going to be an ugly game to watch.  Clemson's got a fair amount of talent at the skill positions on offense, but a very suspect OL.  On defense, they're very, very young, and adjusting to a new DC.  But Auburn has plenty of their own question marks, most importantly at the QB position.  If Clemson had Watkins, I'd pick them to win comfortably, similar to last year.  But I think this one ends up really close, with a field goal at the end pushing Clemson to a close W.

Alabama vs Michigan:  Denard Robinson will get a few big plays early in this game, but you know Saban is going to make quick adjustments.  I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that against a guy like Robinson, you really don't want your DL getting a whole lot of penetration up the field.........rather, you want them to hold their lanes and just keep him in the pocket.  If 'Bama can turn Robinson into a pocket passer, they win this game with relative ease.  Brady Hoke has done some great things in the short time he's been in Ann Arbor, but I still gotta say RTR on this one.

Tennessee vs NC State:  I have no idea.  None.  Two very physically gifted passers in this one, surrounded by tons of question marks.  I'll pick the Vols just because of my SEC bias.  Conference homerism, baby!!!!

Nerds vs Va Tech:  All along I've thought I was going to pick the Hokies in this one, because it makes total sense.  The Jackets always struggle against teams that have extra time to prepare for them, they're going into a hostile environment, Al Groh is the new Ted Roof, and top to bottom Va Tech should be better...........but I don't know, I've just got this nagging feeling on this one.  I'm taking the Jackets in an upset.

Buffalo vs UGA:  It's going to be crazy hot, with approximately 143% humidity.  I'm putting the over/under at stoppages due to cramping at 4.5.  I hope the first stringers come out and put this game away early, and let the youngsters get a lot of 2nd half snaps.  I won't be there this week, but I'll be thinking of all you guys that are there losing 10 lbs of sweat while I'm watching the game on my tv.......in air conditioning.  Seriously though, I'm super pumped about seeing what some of our young guys on both sides of the ball can do, and just hoping for no injuries.

Let me know your thoughts on the games in the comments below.

Have a nice holiday weekend, people, and GO DAWGS!

-Rev.


No comments: